We’re glad you stopped by! I’m Melody and this is Angie.
We’re The Minimalists Next Door and our philosophy is pretty simple.
- Less is always more, especially when it comes to possessions and obligations.
- Having debt severely limits your freedom.
- Travel forever changes the way you see the world.
- Simplicity is a choice that must be made daily.
- Life is too short to be unhappy.
In 2012, we began reassessing our life and realized that “stuff” and “debt” were robbing us of fun and happiness. Angie was miserable in her job and I was miserable with our surroundings so we decided to make a radical change. We sold or donated more than 50% of our possessions and moved 2,200 miles away to a city we had never heard of. A few years have passed since we began to live more simply and intentionally, yet even today we still find new ways to create a better life for ourselves and those we love.
One thing that we’ve learned over the years is that minimalism is an individual journey. For some, it’s about getting rid of everything and living in a tiny home. For others, it’s about freeing the mind of clutter. We like to think that minimalism is about incorporating simplicity into your everyday life, about learning to live within your means and finding enjoyment in experiences, rather than in acquiring stuff. But most importantly, it’s about understanding yourself and what makes you happy. Whatever your definition, we hope our stories will inspire you (and occasionally make you laugh out loud).
If you’re new to minimalism, you might want to start with one of these posts.
- Tips for Minimalist Living
- 5 Rewards of Being Minimalist
- Eat Like a Minimalist
- Cleaning, Minimalist Style
- Even My Hobbies are Cheap
If you’re interested in learning more about us, go here.