My name is Melody and I started this blog back in 2012, when it was called The Minimalist Next Door. It’s now ten years later, and while I’m still very much a minimalist, so many things in my life have changed. I’ve been job-free and location-independent since 2019 and 2021, respectively, and recently decided to make the warm and welcoming state of Kentucky my home base. From here, I dream up adventures and work to make them happen, all the while enjoying the simple pleasures life has to offer.
The name Small Things Beautiful came to me one day while I was riding my bicycle in Big Lagoon State Park near Pensacola, FL. The sun was peeking over the dunes, a lazy gull was circling slowly overhead, a deer was making it’s way across the road looking for acorns, and the new friends I’d made just that very day were smiling brightly and waving to greet me as they drove past on their way to the beach. None of these things were extraordinary, but all were breathtakingly beautiful in their own way – and all were right there for me to enjoy in that one small space in time. The little things, the magic of ordinary moments, that’s what this blog is about. Small Things. Beautiful.
A Few Interesting Things About Me
- I travel about in a converted Chevy G20 van named Van Geaux.
- I LOVE to read!
- I have been known to eat popcorn for dinner.
- I have a not-so-secret addiction to TV dramas.
- I haven’t had a full-time job since 2016.
- I’m 99% vegetarian.
- My favorite hangouts are parks and thrift stores.
- I’m totally into hiking, kayaking, and letterboxing.
- I knit (a bit) and play the ukulele (well, I’m learning).